You will be responsible for the effective and efficient running of the school library, introducing books and encouraging the enjoyment of reading. Where appropriate, you will supervise students and volunteers.
Your main responsibilities will include the development of reading lists by age levels in liaison with the heads of departments, assisting students to find books to borrow and maintaining accurate records of all library books and other resources. You will also be responsible for the management of all borrowed books, you will follow up with students, parents and teachers when required.
You will participate in the selection and ordering process of new books and the renewal of subscription for periodicals. You will also be responsible for the general maintenance of the library ensuring it is an organised, comfortable and welcoming environment for students of all ages.
- Previous experience working in a library an advantage.
- Extensive knowledge of the National Curriculum for England.
- Must be up to date with the current trends in YA literature.
- High level of competence in computer applications including Windows, Word, Excel and Publisher, and database applications such as library management systems (Oliver is the system Jumeirah College uses).
- High level of competence in the use of the Internet, including effective searching and Email.
- Ability to effectively assist students and staff in their use of library resources, including the library catalogue, book resources, Online resources.
- Very organised and independent worker who is able to problem solve and constructively improve library systems and services.
- Interest in reading fiction and an ability to promote and recommend books and authors an asset.