We are looking for an experienced Librarian to join our team in April 2020.
The Librarian should be able to perform the following duties:
Perform other duties as requested by direct & dotted reporting line managers / supervisors.
- Embrace and encourage the ethos and standards of excellence as defined in the GEMS Core Values.
- Assist students to find books appropriate to their reading level and interest and help students and staff source topic-related books for study.
- Responsible for arrangements for students to borrow library books, keeping records of books borrowed, following up on unreturned books via written letters to parents etc.
- Develop reading lists for various age levels.
- Teach younger students about books, their treatment and the library layout including the Dewey Decimal classification system.
- Liaise with Heads of Department to select and prepare annual library order including selection and renewal of subscriptions for periodicals. Place orders and process delivery of new books.
- Computer cataloguing of all books using the Dewey Decimal system if applicable and produce catalogues of books held.
- Repair and withdraw old books.
- Responsible for the storage, maintenance and access to the audio-visual library.
- Where appropriate, find and encourage volunteer assistance and teach volunteers the procedures and processes of the library.
- Maintain, update and make available examination material (past papers, syllabus etc) and college and careers material.
- Responsible for the general maintenance of the library ensuring it is comfortable, well lit, attractive, organized, clearly signposted etc.
- Participate in the selection, training and supervision of library support staff.
- Ensure the GEMS policies, procedures, and codes of conduct are followed at all times.
- Initiate effort and energy beyond the typical work day, where the tasks require additional commitment.
- Attend staff meetings and serve on committees as required.