Now in its 6th year of operation, GEMS Cambridge International School, Kampala, offers the National Curriculum for England through the University of Cambridge Primary and Secondary programmes, including the IGCSE and Advanced Level examinations as well as EdExcel BTEC vocational qualifications. It is a co-educational school for students from pre-Foundation Stage to Year 13.
The school, located in the very pleasant lakeside residential area of Luzira; a suburb of the bustling city of Kampala, boasts a spacious, state-of-the-art campus with well-equipped teaching facilities incorporating a roof top auditorium, Apple suite, Drama studio, science and computer labs, as well as extensive sports facilities, including a running track, full size football pitch, indoor sports hall, basketball court and an 8 lane heated swimming pool. The school also boasts two purpose built Boarding Houses.
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Head of English, who is or who aspires to be, an outstanding practitioner in the classroom. We want a teacher who is willing and adept at personalising learning for every student; who believes passionately in the education of the whole child and therefore fully embraces the GEMS core values that characterise our school. You will be required to fully contribute to, and lead where appropriate, our extensive extra-curricular programme. There may be opportunities for subject leadership for the right candidate.
Key Qualifications, Experience and Skills required:
- Education/Teaching degree OR degree and teaching qualification/license is essential
- Successful leadership experience in national OR international sector
- Highly motivated and able to work with a high degree of independence and responsibility
- A proven track record in securing the highest possible educational outcomes for your students
- The ability/experience to teach the IGCSE, A Level and BTEC curriculums
- A wholehearted commitment to supporting the enrichment of school life beyond the classroom.
If you are enthusiastic about teaching and learning; would enjoy the challenge of working in East Africa and have the drive and passion to get the best out of each and every one of our students, then we would very much welcome your application.