As part of the company’s expansion across the MENASA region, GEMS will shortly be embarking on building a portfolio of schools in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. In order to support both the acquisition of existing schools, as well as the building of new greenfield sites, we are seeking a team of high quality, experienced teachers and leaders to form a School Improvement Team to ensure that the quality of education offered in our KSA schools is outstanding. This opportunity is the single most important strategic development for the company starting with 14 schools by June 2019, and with a projected growth of 50 schools within the next five years.
Initially, the team will be based in our Riyadh offices but will be required to work in other regions of the Kingdom including Dammam, Khobar, Jeddah, and Madinah. As the portfolio expands, team members may need to be located within each of these regions. As required by current regulation in KSA, we will need to build a diverse team with an appropriate gender, bilingual (English/Arabic), Islamic and local balance where possible. The team will initially comprise of 5 school Improvement advisors in 2019 (moving to 8 SIA in September 2020) and be co-led by Eric Jamieson (CEdO) and Mick Gernon (CEdIO), and two Vice Presidents.
Key tasks in the first 12 months will include:
- Highly visible relationship building with Principals, teachers, students and parents from day one
- Initial/informal confirmation of due diligence findings on educational standards
- Agreeing/advising on a 100 day plan for each school
- Setting the context for 3-5 year strategy plan for each school focusing on raising standards; teaching and learning; parent engagement; and student voice through a number of stakeholder visioning and support sessions – initial workshops, feedback/actions etc
- Audit and understand process and procedures linked to key policy areas (Curriculum, T&L, Assessment, MER, QA, Child Protection, Governance etc) using the Framework for Excellence criteria
- Identify School Improvement priorities and strategies to support and align with TELLAL strategy
- Support Induction plans with schools (for new and existing staff)
- Benchmark baseline data for all schools against local/international measures exploring the current validity of internal tests and external testing.
- Produce detailed school improvement plans (for AY20/21) and resourced per school. Priorities will have been identified in line within due diligence reports, school improvement initiatives, and informal evidence gathering through focused/agreed learning walks between Sept-December 2019
- Lead themed reviews based on the priorities above (Jan – May 2020)
- Self evaluation training/coaching – SEF to be produced by end of May 2020.
- Undergo team training on Shifts of Practice/Future Fluency approaches
- Experienced and forward thinking teacher/leader/educationalist with a philosophy for outstanding child-centred learning
- Pedagogical expertise (up to date/recent school, leadership or advisory experience)
- Outstanding leadership of people and associated people skills
- Change leadership experience and expertise within schools/education
- Outstanding facilitation/coaching skills
- School improvement expertise and experience
- Strategic thinkers capable of meeting and delivering operational tasks and deadlines
- Arabic/English Bilingual (preferred)
- Team players and self-starters
- Resilience and determination to improve learning in all our schools
The full details and plans for KSA schools will be shared with short-listed candidates.
The successful candidates will be available to start by either September 2019 (5 posts) or September 2020 (3 posts).
If you are enthusiastic about being part of this most unique and ground-breaking educational opportunity and have the drive and passion to extend the potential of all our students, then we would welcome your application. Please forward your CV and letter of application outlining how your experiences to date have prepared you for this role (max 2 sides of A4). Please send all documents to [email protected]
Closing date: 28th May 2019.