GEMS Founders School – Al Mizhar is an international UK curriculum school, providing students in the Dubai with the high standard of education that GEMS Education embodies.
GEMS Founders School, Al Mizhar is looking to appoint a School Counsellor to provide professional counselling service to students and to our wider community across the school.
- To provide 1:1 support to students.
- To assess the suitability of support within the counselling environment.
- To ensure an approachable, informal open door policy for all within the school.
- To inform students of the confidentiality limitations within the counselling environment.
- To work with the students, offering support guidance and advice to parents, students and staff as required.
- If a collective concern is identified, assessed and appropriate, offer students group work to help deal with associated issues.
- To communicate and liaise with teachers, nurses, heads of year and senior staff about the welfare of students within the remits of the student/Counsellor confidentiality process.
- To ensure that equal opportunities are given to all students, to enable them to access the counselling service.
- To be aware of issues within the school environment that may affect the emotional health of students, both on individual basis, on a year specific basis or as a school community.
To The Wider Community
- To communicate and liaise with parents regarding their child’s welfare, within the remits of the student/counsellor confidentiality process.
- To provide support and guidance to school staff enabling them to better identify and support students with emotional health and well-being difficulties.
- To have knowledge of the child protection policies and liaise with the child protection coordinator as required.
- To raise awareness and promote the counselling service within the school to students, staff and parents using a range of strategies.
- To research workshops, seminars, CPD training opportunities for self and others to promote better understanding of issues that affect young people.
- To research and liaise with outside agencies to enhance the counselling service offered.
- To keep up to date on current literature with regards to young people issues and counselling developments.
- To attend regular outside supervision sessions.
- To provide reports on request relating to the counselling service.
Required Skill Set:
- Positive interpersonal and communication skills. The ability to remain calm in cases of emergency and cope with a degree of pressure at peak times. A logical and relaxed individual able to interact and understand the emotional needs of a variety of students/staff from different backgrounds and cultures.
- Masters/Bachelors in Child Psychology/Counselling. Any other professional counselling certifications/qualifications would be preferred.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in a similar role preferably in an educational setting.
- Ability to multi-task and effective organization skills.