GEMS World Academy-Dubai develops inquiring, reflective and caring learners who, through the rigor of the IB programmes have the knowledge, skills and character to take action and create a better, more peaceful world. Supported by highly qualified staff in world-class facilities, our diverse international community is encouraged to develop intercultural understanding and respect. Our aim is to be a world-class IB school that maximises every student’s learning and character to enable them to choose their own successful path, and positively contribute to the local and global society.
Our EAL Department has transformed student outcomes and succeeded in inspiring a love of learning at GEMS World Academy, through the dedication of staff, their exceptional subject knowledge, and the department’s forward-thinking approach to data and the curriculum. The department is highly regarded among our student body for the care and personal support offered to students. We are now looking for an innovative Director of EAL to join this successful team and support at all levels of learning (K-12).
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience of the IB PYP, MYP and DP Programmes and a proven track record of successful and varied teaching. Genuine alignment with the philosophy of the IB and the values embodied in the Learner Profile are essential, as is a passion for working in our truly diverse community. In addition, the ideal candidate will have:
- A certified professional teaching qualification, such as B.Ed, PGCE, PGDE or equivalent specializing in EAL, ELL or similar
- A Master Degree in Education Management/Leadership
- A minimum of 4 years of solid and demonstrable experience teaching EAL within a high performing department, ideal in an IB curriculum school
- Additional qualifications or specialisms such as TEFL/IELTs/CELTA/Cambridge certifications are advantageous
- August 2021 availability
- The experience, personality and educational philosophy to continue to drive the education agenda at this flagship GEMS World school with an international student body
- The desire to provide outstanding support and learning
- Aspiration to work in a world class school with real prospects for enhancing their career
If you are excited by this opportunity and are keen to apply please ensure to mention in your cover letter if you will be traveling with a teaching partner and what subject/year groups they are qualified to teach.
We are committed to safeguarding children and promoting their welfare. We expect all staff to share this commitment. The post is subject to an enhanced check.