This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious teacher to start or continue their international career with a leading global company and world class international school located in this beautiful Emirate. Due to the continued success of the school and significant roll growth, we are looking for passionate, dynamic colleagues who are ambitious to join a company in GEMS that has an enviable reputation for outstanding education, and a school that will continue to grow to meet our community’s needs.
GEMS Winchester School, Fujairah, delivering the British Curriculum, was founded in September 2016. Housed in brand new state of the art buildings with excellent facilities, WSF has grown at a rapid rate to meet the needs of a local Emirati and international ex-patriate community. As an all-through school (currently reception to first year of A Levels), our number on roll is anticipated to be around 2200 in September 2021.
GEMS has a world-class reputation for outstanding education and our school is ready to meet the needs of Fujairah as it becomes the premier city on the beautiful eastern coast of the UAE, and WSF continues to be the school of choice in the region.
Fujairah is just over an hour from Dubai and sits at the foot of the Hajar Mountains facing the Indian Ocean. The beautiful coastline and spectacular scenery makes Fujairah a popular destination for water sports enthusiasts and visitors. Its large port, one of the deepest in the world, attracts international businesses and trade is growing rapidly. Fujairah is now rivalling other famous UAE destinations as a modern city with a vibrant economy and culture.
Teachers enjoy a healthy balance to life, with numerous modern malls, cinemas, bars and restaurants, with beautiful beaches and resorts to match all budgets within a short drive. For those that enjoy a lower cost of living and a quieter pace of life, Fujairah is a wonderful place to live and work, with the benefit of having Dubai and its many international concerts, activities, facilities and events so close by.
Professionally, teachers enjoy the same competitive scale and benefits as all GEMS schools in the UAE. WSF is fortunate to boast a hard-working, highly qualified and experienced faculty of teachers that share a commitment to lifelong learning and continuous development. Around 20% of our teachers are recruited from the UK, with the remainder joining us from all corners of the globe. Please visit our website to find out more about the leadership team in the school.
In return for your energy, resilience and experience, we offer you the opportunity to make a real impact on a developing community. You will work with the UAE’s largest and most successful education company in GEMS, which will support your professional and career development, and you will work with a supportive Senior Leadership Team at WSF who will help you develop your potential.
Experience of teaching Business Studies and IT would be an advantage.
Academic and Pastoral Responsibilities:
• Delivering effective student-centred lessons in a well-planned, vibrant learning environment
• Supporting and liaising closely with middle leaders, administrators and other teachers
• Work directly with other teachers to improve and develop skills, knowledge and pedagogy so that student outcomes are improved.
• Effective contribution to team planning
• Work directly with Section/Key Stage Leaders and Heads of Department to support the improvement of academic standards in every section of the school
• Contribute to the Quality Assurance programme for parent engagement to ensure outstanding standards in parent communication and engagement
• Be familiar with the UAE framework for teaching to ensure a minimum standard of “good” teaching in all lessons
• Use and welcome mentoring/coaching methods to develop reflective practice and encourage the use of new learning strategies
• Conduct supportive peer lesson observations and help to set up actions plans as required
• Play an active role in the teaching, learning and assessment quality assurance process as appropriate and when required
• In a school where the majority (80%) of teaching colleagues are not UK-trained, all UK-trained teachers recruited are expected to be lead practitioners and contribute to school and colleague development accordingly, sharing resources, strategies and best practice as and when appropriate
• Attend internal and external events, take part in peer reviews, and be proactive in developing own continuous professional development
• Identify areas of good practice and develop and share resources as exemplars
• Develop, promote and involve teaching staff in creative initiatives to share good practice
• Ensure that observation outcomes inform appraisal action plans
• Monitor and drive improvements in the quality of written (marking) and verbal feedback to learners
• Ensure that the curriculum is supported and underpinned by effective schemes of work and well-differentiated planning of lessons
• Ensure that all documentation supporting teaching, learning and assessment (schemes of work, lesson plans etc.) meets the standards laid down by GEMS and WSF
• Promote and model the Code of Conduct and GEMS Core Values
• Undertake other professional duties as reasonably delegated by Line Manager (LM) such as: teaching, recruitment, cover, after-school duty, ASP, MOE formalities, covering for LM when absent, inspection preparation, SEF, SDP, etc.
• Promote the school positively with community and GEMS while maintaining complete confidentiality
• Respect local culture, customs and laws
• Meet deadlines as requested by LM
• Contribute to the development of teaching and learning, focusing on pedagogy, standards and progress
• Ensure academic excellence in internal and external assessments as appropriate.
• Contribute to the professional development programme to ensure high quality learning and teaching
• Promote the school to all stakeholders and the wider community.
• Follow, support and help to develop all of the School’s aims, its vision, improvement plans, policies and practices.
The successful applicant will have the following:
• A certified teaching qualification, such as B.Ed, PGCE, PGDE or equivalent
• Bachelor of Business Studies (four years fulltime, regular course)
• The desire to provide Outstanding teaching and learning
• Aspiration to work in a world class school with real prospects for enhancing their career
• At least 2 years of post-qualifying experience