The of the role Director of Operations is to ensure high-level operational compliance is maintained across all GEMS entities by fostering a positive and proactive safety culture and providing support and guidance to all entities and teams on School Operations matters. The Operations Director will also ensure legal compliance and the highest operational standards are in place.
- Provide support and guidance to the School Operations teams and support service functions
- Provide support and guidance to all Principals and school leadership teams
- Be the organization’s central point of contact for all Operation matters
- Conduct ongoing school visits to liaise and discuss Operational matters with Principals and teams
- Establishing team and business key performance indicators and measuring performance against them.
Compliance and standards
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range organizational goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures; monitors and evaluates effectiveness, and proposes changes required for improvement.
- Monitor and keep up to date with relevant laws and regulations, making sure any relevant operational changes are made
- Establish the Ops audit program, supporting in ensuring audit actions are identified and addressed in a timely manner
- Provide audit reports to senior management for discussion
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure a consistent approach is achieved
Accident and incidents
- Monitor all accidents and incidents through the GEMS HSE system
- Review accident and incident data on a continuous basis, establishing potential areas of improvement
- Provide regular senior management and board Operations reports, covering accident and incident data/management
- Identify and implement proactive measures to drive down accidents and incidents
- Review team accident/incident investigations
Training and development
- Identify training needs in teams, review any gaps for Ops teams
- Provide regular Operations reports to senior stakeholders
- Update the board on Operations matters and performance
- Communicate effectively with external stakeholders and regulators
- Establish positive lines of communication with Principals, HODS, and School ops teams
Crisis management & emergency response
- Be the central point of contact and communication on crisis management
- Maintain the crisis management plan
- Provide training as and when needed on crisis management
- Ensure schools conduct the relevant emergency exercises, in line with any GEMS/legal requirements
- Ensuring key risks are identified and mitigated
- Providing an update of the top 10 key Operation risks to the audit committee
- Review risk assessments where necessary
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skill in examining operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Ability to analyze complex problems, interpret operational needs, and develop integrated creative solutions.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.