This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious leader to start or continue their international career with a leading global company and world class international school located in this beautiful Emirate. Due to the continued success of the school and significant roll growth, we are looking for passionate, dynamic colleagues who are ambitious to join a company in GEMS Education that has an enviable reputation for outstanding education, and a school that will continue to grow to meet our community’s needs.
In return for your energy, resilience and experience, we offer you the opportunity to make a real impact on a developing community. You will work with the UAE’s largest and most successful education company in GEMS, which will support your professional and career development, and you will work with a supportive Senior Leadership Team at WSF who will help you develop your potential.
Head of English is a key leadership position that will drive teaching standards and improvement in student progress and attainment.
Academic and Pastoral Responsibilities:
• Supporting and liaising closely with SLT, middle leaders, SENCO, administrators and teachers
• Work directly with teachers to improve and develop their skills, knowledge and pedagogy so that student outcomes are improved.
• The successful candidate will have a demonstrable track record of successfully developing the curriculum, schemes of work and pedagogy of teachers in their department
• Work directly with Section/Key Stage Leaders and Heads of Department to support the improvement of academic standards in every section of the school
• Work directly with members of the SLT to support teaching and learning and provide regular updates and reports on students’ and teachers’ progress against agreed targets and actions
• Contribute to the induction of new teaching staff, and the Quality Assurance programme for new starters, and for those teachers who are below “good” in their lesson evaluations.
• Use mentoring/coaching methods to develop reflective practice in others and encouraging the use of new learning strategies
• Conduct frequent and regular supportive observations and set up actions plans as required
• Play an active role in the teaching, learning and assessment quality assurance process as appropriate and when required
• Teach specialist lessons
• The successful candidate will be responsible for delivering A Level teaching in this young school; experience of working in a developing environment to establish excellent practice would be a significant advantage
• Lead all colleagues towards continuous improvement in the teaching of Science, including teachers, teaching assistants, and learning support assistants, as required
• Attend external events, take part in peer reviews, and be proactive in developing own continuous professional development
• Identify areas of good practice and develop and share resources as exemplars
• Develop, promote and involve teaching staff in creative initiatives to share good practice
• Ensure that observation outcomes inform appraisal action plans
• Monitor and drive improvements in the quality of written (marking) and verbal feedback to learners
• Ensure that the curriculum is supported and underpinned by effective schemes of work and well-differentiated planning of lessons
• Ensure that all documentation supporting teaching, learning and assessment (schemes of work, lesson plans) meets the standards laid down by GEMS and WSF
• Implement internal inspection processes in those areas deemed to be at risk of not meeting agreed and established standards. This will include carrying out documentation audits, management of the process, feedback of outcomes to appropriate leaders and teams and providing written reports to SLT
• Ensure the development of all aspects of teaching, learning and assessment related to Science identified in the MOE National Inspection Framework (feedback to learners, setting high expectations, meeting learner needs, promoting differentiation and Equality and Diversity)
• Ensure effective development and line management of all teachers of Science
• Promote and model the Code of Conduct and GEMS Core Values
• Undertake other professional duties as reasonably delegated by Line Manager (LM) such as: teaching, recruitment, cover, after-school duty, ASP, MOE formalities, covering for LM when absent, inspection preparation, SEF, SDP, etc.
• Promote the school positively with community and GEMS while maintaining complete confidentiality
• Respect local culture, customs and laws
• Meet deadlines as requested by LM
• Lead on the development of teaching and learning, focusing on pedagogy, standards and progress
• Ensure academic excellence in internal and external assessments as appropriate.
• Contribute to the professional development programme to ensure high quality learning and teaching
• Be a part of a thriving Leadership Team focusing on the whole –school environment
• Promote the school to all stakeholders and the wider community.
• Follow, support and help to develop all of the School’s aims, its vision, improvement plans, policies and practices.
The successful applicant will have the following:
• A certified teaching qualification, such as PGCE / QTS (UK university)
• A Bachelor degree in English (regular course, UK university)
• The desire to provide Outstanding teaching and learning
• Aspiration to work in a world class school with real prospects for enhancing their career
• At least 2 years of post-qualifying experience