GEMS World Academy, Dubai are looking for an experienced and highly committed Librarian to support the continued evolution of our students' independent learning skills by facilitating access to appropriate print and online content.
GEMS World Academy, Dubai (GWA) is a private, co-educational IB World School for PreK to Grade 12 students. Established in 2008 as a member of GEMS Education, the Academy is authorised to deliver the PYP, MYP, DP and CP programmes, and is also accredited by the Council of International Schools and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). We serve a multi-ethnic community in the heart of Dubai. Our ethos is grounded in the IB Learner Profile; we encourage intellectual curiosity, entrepreneurial spirit, and foster a real sense of communal endeavour. The Academy has gained national and international recognition for its work to improve outcomes for students, as well as its aspirational and inclusive vision. As a member of the GWA community you will have the opportunity to shape the future of the Academy whilst working alongside an exceptionally talented group of teachers and leaders.
This is an administrative position and entails the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist students to find books appropriate to their reading level and interest and help students and staff source topic-related books for study.
- Responsible for arrangements for students to borrow library books, keeping records of books borrowed, following up on unreturned books etc.
- Develop reading lists for various age levels.
- Liaise with Heads of Department to select and prepare annual library order including selection and renewal of subscriptions for periodicals. Place orders and process delivery of new books.
- Computer cataloguing of all books and produce catalogues of books held.
- Responsible for the storage, maintenance and access to the audio-visual library.
- Maintain, update and make available examination material (past papers, syllabi etc.) and college and careers material.
- Responsible for the general maintenance of the library ensuring it is comfortable, well lit, attractive, organised, clearly signposted etc.
We welcome applicants with a minimum of 1 year's experience as a Librarian in a school setting and a Bachelors in Librarianship or Library Science or similar. Our ideal candidate will have the above and be a committed and creative individual with excellent organisational and interpersonal skills, and be able to work effectively with students and staff.