This position is a fantastic opportunity to make an impact in the growth and development of Teaching and Learning at GEMS Wellington Academy, Al Khail. You will work as part of the Secondary Leadership Team to ensure the students at the Academy receive a world class education.
The UAE is determined to become an inclusive, barrier-free, rights-based society that promotes, protects, and ensures the success of all groups of students. As a non-selective school with a reputation for producing well-rounded students, through academic rigor and a strong pastoral focus, the role will require you to build and promote opportunities to empower students to aspire, create and excel in the world that is, so they can create their world that will be.
To do this, the Assistant Principal will be accountable for driving the standards and consistency in learning skills and the use of AfL in the classroom, ensuring all learners can reach their full potential at WEK. The Assistant Principal Teaching and Learning will work with the VP for Teaching and Learning, and the VP Assessment and Data to ensure:
- There is high-quality teaching across all subjects and in every classroom,
- Teachers are using data effectively to plan and best support learners in the classroom
- Progress and Attainment outcomes are outstanding for all pupils.
The Assistant Principal will also actively participate in whole-school self-evaluation and school improvement planning and will be responsible for the coaching, mentoring and development of staff.
About the Role:
Teaching and Learning:
- To work with the VP T&L to oversee and monitor the effectiveness of learning and teaching including lesson observation, learning walks and work scrutiny, holding middle and senior leaders to account for the consistent implementation of the teaching and learning policy and Teaching Principles
- To work with the VP Assessment and Data to raise standards of student attainment and achievement within the school by ensuring the highest standards of teaching is in place alongside high quality assessment
- Support with, and at times lead Internal Quality Assurance processes in order to effectively monitor the implementation of teaching and learning strategy in the classroom
- Model consistently high-quality teaching and be able to demonstrate excellent practice to others
- Prepare, deliver and participate in professional development across the school to improve teachers’ practice
- To work with the Academic Mentor to use data to identify individuals or groups that need further teaching support.
- Alongside the VP Assessment and Data and the Academic Mentor, develop and implement strategies to raise the quality of teaching and measure impact of these using data.
- To coordinate the mentoring/coaching to individual teachers’ in need of 1-to-1 support to improve their practice
- To be an active lead member of the whole school teaching and learning team
- To fulfil any reasonable additional responsibilities as may be from time to time requested by the VP T&L.
- To consider the holistic view of students through triangulating with information such as attendance, behaviour, NGRT and PASS data.
- To support with transition across core subjects from primary to secondary to ensure Teaching and Learning allows students to be best prepared for secondary.
- NPQSL/LT or MA/MSc or equivalent qualifications
- Excellent classroom practitioner
- Proven track record of delivering outcomes
- Experience of middle leadership (minimum of 3 years)
- Commitment to continued professional learning
- Previous experience of SLT desirable